Tuesday, March 13, 2012

From the Diary of a missionary in Uganda...

October 6, 2007

The classroom where I teach is between the animal feeding grounds and the pit latrines, so my classroom is constantly filled with the smell of waste, animal and human.
The weather is stifling here. The moment I step out of my icy shower, I begin to sweat.

I sleep under a mosquito net to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes infected with malaria and other diseases, but I still can't avoid ants and crickets in my bed.
In mybathroom lives a rat the size of a house cat and there are a few bats in the shower. This morning I almost grilled a lizard in my toaster.

Fred, my piki man, is almost always late, sometimes runs into cows, runs out of gas, or forgets to warn me of impending potholes. When it rains, the awful roads turn into muddy swamps, making it nearly impossible to go anywhere.
For lunch and dinner we eat Posho, which is corn flour boiled in water until it is thick and pasty. It tastes a little worse than Elmer's glue.

Sometimes, the children are so dirty they actually reek; it is impossible to touch them without becoming filthy. With the wind blowing red dust everywhere, it is impossible not to be filthy anyway.

A rooster crows around five to wake me up each morning--That is, if I haven't already been up all night with a sick baby or getting sick myself.

And to you, these sound like complaints. They are not; this is me. rejoicing in the Lord, because you see...

I love my tiny classroom. I love the hot sun on my face. I love my bed, cozy under my net after a long day. I love my home sweet home, all its creatures included. I love Fred, my Piki man. I love my long walks home day or night, rain or shine. I love the beating, cleansing Ugandan rain. I love my Ugandan meals, prepared with such love and generosity. I love to be hugged and touched and jumped on and cuddled by these precious children. I love the cool, dusty breeze in my hair. I love every African sunrise, the cool and calm of a new morning. I love each and every day, each and every moment that I spend in this beautiful country; I rejoice in each breath I take.



~Katie Davis via Kisses from Katie

If you wish to learn more about Katie and Amazima Ministries...

Click here



~Sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to leave a comment please keep your comment pleasant. Make sure all your words and content are glorifying to God. If any comment is left that does not bring glory and honor to God it will be deleted immediately.

Thanks a lot for leaving a comment!

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of a man does not produce the righteousness that God requires." ~ James 1:19-21

"So whether you eat, or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31