Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fall Fashion

I love fall and winter, cool weather, and especially fall and winter
clothing. It's somewhat surprising that I love wearing warm clothes so much
because in order to get a pair of pants, it usually means scavenging rack after rack
of four different stores and surrendering a heavy amount of chase to chaser.
I usually refuse to make it through the winter with anything less than 3
pairs of pants, and, considering the fact that each year my pants are at least
2 inches too short (OK, that’s an exaggeration), it usually means hunting down
a well stocked Goodwill or second-hand clothing store.
Winter clothes are obviously more modest than summer clothes (in a
covering of the skin sense) but they still have their downfalls. One of my
biggest pet peeves is…. pants that are too tight. Personally, I don’t like showing off
every intimate detail of my whole leg (yes, you probably guessed that does
mean I don’t own a pair of skinny jeans). I don’t like skinny
jeans, but if that’s what works for you, then so be it. I’d rather leave
something for the imagination.
Now there are a lot of cute modest winter clothes, too. I especially
love pants and boots or big skirts and boots or pretty much anything with
boots. Layering and scarves have so many attractive possibilities and are
lots of fun too.

Proverbs 31: 21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household, for all of
them are clothed in scarlet. 22 She makes coverings for her head, she is
clothed in fine linen and purple.

Now we all have that one color that compliments us very well. It might
not be purple (well mine is), but whatever color it is, it’s always a good
idea to have at least one piece of clothing in every outfit that is that
color. This will help compliment you and the outfit a lot more.
The Proverbs 31 woman isn’t afraid to clothe herself attractively.
Purple was made from an extremely expensive dye when Proverbs 31 was written. That doesn’t
mean that we have to go out and by the most expensive clothing, but it does
mean that we should dress attractively and take joy in dressing with femininity.

One constantly helpful trick to make a good outfit without buying anything
is taking in a look in someone else’s closet. God gave us sisters and mothers
for a reason. Now, I know how it feels to not have a sister, but my
mother and I try to steal each others clothes all the time. If she buys something
and then it's too small, guess who gets it?… yup, me =)
One thing to always keep in mind is that mall shopping is over- rated. Yes, I
do buy stuff from the mall but when I shop there it is more to give me good ideas of what I am looking for. One time I needed
a fancy dress for an occasion. First, I went to Goodwill. They always have a
good supply of fancy dresses. I found a really nice, gently used white dress
for 4 dollars and then I went to the mall and purchased a top to go over the
dress to make it more modest.
In all of this, also remember that God created color. Be bright, be exciting, and
sometimes it's OK to be just plain old loud. Always stay modest and God
centered. There’s a difference between dressing in style and dressing in
showiness. It all starts and the heart, if you keep your motives pure and
modest then it can all flow from there. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to leave a comment please keep your comment pleasant. Make sure all your words and content are glorifying to God. If any comment is left that does not bring glory and honor to God it will be deleted immediately.

Thanks a lot for leaving a comment!

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of a man does not produce the righteousness that God requires." ~ James 1:19-21

"So whether you eat, or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31