Monday, May 9, 2011

The Death of the Wicked

Sometimes as the sun rises in my bedroom window my mind will roll like

the waves of the ocean. Today is a new day. Anything can happen.

Mainly these thoughts began to come to me after an in depth study of

World War I. :) Rather than writing papers like I should have been, I

found myself wondering what it was like for the people that were alive

during the time of World War I. I thought about what I shock it would

be to hear news of a great war on a day that could have started out

just the same as this one and the next. When you wake you don't know

what is going to happen in that day. It could be a perfectly normal

day, or it could be an earthshaking day like on September 11th, 2001.


It was the Morning of May 2, 2011. I was sleeping in our family room

with my friend, Claire, who had been visiting our family for the past several days.

"You girls need to get up now." Mom's voice sounded in my ear as she

flipped on the light switch. I had been awake for the past few minutes

wondering whether there was anyone else up in our house. Apparently

there was. Claire opened her eyes and we smiled at each other. Rays of

sunlight penetrated the glass windows as the sun painted its colors across the hazy sky.

"Have you girls heard the news?"

"What news?" I asked. News or current events are not something that is

shared in our home often. When they are, its usually something big.

Mom walked toward the stairway and took a breath "Osama Bin Laden was

found and killed." She looked at us, her hand on the railing as she

paused on her way to get eggs for breakfast.

"When? He wasn't on trial or anything?" I asked. I

looked over at Claire whose face was molded over with astonishment. We

both asked Mom questions, but she didn't seem to know many answers.

Mom doesn't really like to keep up with the news. I heard clattering

in the basement and knew that grandma was up and probably had been for

awhile. I could hear snippets of my Aunt Gretchen's voice too, but

couldn't make out what the commotion was about. The most probable

assumption was that it had something that had to do with the death of Osama Bin Laden.

Mom continued down the stairs for her eggs and Claire and I were left

alone in the family room."That was sudden." Claire said trailing off in thought. Neither of us

spoke for the next few minutes as we tried to let the news settle. We

heard more noise downstairs and decided to see what everyone was doing

and possibly learn more information that would help us fit more pieces

into our puzzled minds.

We found ourselves in grandma's room surrounded by Aunt Gretchen, my

sister Amy, and my grandmother. All were watching the news and talking

at the same time. Many times they trailed off forgetting what they

were saying to watch and learn more about what happened. "Sofia, Osama

Bin Laden has been killed!!" Grandma's voice sounded like the excited

ringing of a bell. "I heard." I think the lack of excitement that portrayed itself through my voice

and through the faces of Amy and Claire annoyed her. "Well aren't you excited? He's dead!!"

"Sure I'm excited. I'm excited that he can't kill people anymore, but

I'm not excited that he's dead." Amy and Claire nodded their heads in agreement.

"Why not?" My Aunt questioned her eyes darting from one of us to the other.

"They've been searching for this guy for fifteen years! Fifteen

years!" She echoed, attempting to make her point and hopefully a

lasting impact on our minds. Her comment didn't change any of our

minds. (Just in case anyone reading this is an aspiring poet, I'd like

to make it clear that repetition doesn't always work the way you

expect it to :D)


"We're not to rejoice in the death of the wicked." Amy said, after

clearing her throat. "We can rejoice that he's not killing or

antagonizing people anymore, but I don't want to rejoice because

anyone dies. Whether it be Osama Bin Laden or anyone on this earth especially if they don't

know God." My voice didn't falter as I was afraid it might.

"Because we know where he went." Amy added.

What can be learned from this, when the world is rejoicing in the

death of another man? That man has a soul too like every other human being on earth.

Just like you and me. So did the people that he killed and terrorized.

We can rejoice, but our real rejoicing should be not in his death, but

in the fact that no more of Christ's children are being terrorized by

him. We should also feel sorrow. There was a hushed quietness in the

room when mom left Claire and I to go get eggs. It was a moment of

mourning, and reminding that we need to pray for our enemies and trust

God in the ways that this world turns.

"As surely as I live," declares the Lord God, "I take no pleasure in

the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.


Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to leave a comment please keep your comment pleasant. Make sure all your words and content are glorifying to God. If any comment is left that does not bring glory and honor to God it will be deleted immediately.

Thanks a lot for leaving a comment!

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of a man does not produce the righteousness that God requires." ~ James 1:19-21

"So whether you eat, or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31